From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 16:24:51 -0600
To Andrew "don't call me Kay" Vik
The best answer as far as I know is what Charles said.  Different
conventions.  I don't believe there is anything like an 'umbrella'
convention that covers them all.
The botanical counterpart to the IZCN is in fact "The International Code of
Botanical Nomenclature"
and here is a link:
http://www.bgbm.fu-berlin.de/iapt/nomenclature/code/tokyo-e/

I have often had a chuckle over the example you name.  My upstairs Ficus, F.
elastica and F. lyrata are alive, mostly green and doing OK.  Only 2 in my
collection.  My downstairs Ficus, F. communis and F. ficus are dead and
greyish or tannish white.  Only 2 in my collection.
Can anyone else think of any  other animal genera that are the same as plant
genera.  There must be some but I can't think of any right now.
By the way, that was a very nice article about Ficus (the mollusc type) in
your newsletter, Tom E.

Nora
Calgary, Alberta