From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 22:12:45 -0400
Bill and all,

I am sure you are correct about Southernmost Point on Key West...we used
to vacation with a Navy couple back in the late 60's when almost the
whole eastern tip of the island of Key West was Navy and off limits to
us civvy shellers. (For those of you who have never visited there or
studied it on a map, it is a bit confusing, as compass points go, sort
of like Panama! You indeed go south (and west) to get to Key West, but
the island stretches from west to east...the farther you go onto the
island, the farther east you go.) My friend Skip (Carole Marshall and
Emilio P.,, do you remember Skip the Curmudgeon of early Conch-L days?)
lived in an off-base house just about four houses north of Southernmost
Point, so we spent a lot of time there back when! Skip always explained
that it wasn't really Southernmost Point at all, just Southermost
Accessible Point  for civilians. "The Point" is the place a few
fishermen and the Conch salesmen used to tie up their boats and peddle
their catch (Florida lobsters, shrimp, stone crabs, yellowtail, whatever
they had) and their painted coral and sawed-off conch horns. Big tourist
spot.  Today with the Navy having pulled out of a lot of that area, it
seems that the distinction is a hard one to understand.

Lynn
Louisville KY