From:
Paul Drez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:56:06 -0600
Bill:

This response is coming more from a geochemical standpoint (being a
geochemist) rather than being an "Olive" nut.  Were these specimens found
live or dead, or partially buried in mud?  The greenish color is very
reminiscent of ferrous iron (a reduced form of iron that occurs in some
muds, particularly below the surface of the sediment).  That is why I asked
if it was collected live or dead.  Looks like they were partially buried in
a "reducing mud environment" (low in oxygen) where ferrous iron would occur
and possibly be incorporated in the shell structure.  If so, the green
color will be unstable with age and tend to turn into "ferric" (oxidized)
iron which is "rust" colored.

Just a guess?

Paul