From:
"Maurizio A. PERINI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 20:28:14 +0200
Wednesday   October 27, 1999   07:31

Dear Bob and all,

Are the Olives in your tank only one species?

I know that large Olives as incrassta or porphyrya
usually eat the smaller Olivellas. I wonder if they
prey also the young specimens one to another.

The chemioreception in location of food is a well
known mechanism (Kohn, 1961). The Neogastropoda
as the Olives own a structure called osphradium
for this purpose. This is present also in other
Gastropoda but in the Neogastropoda the osphradium
is more efficient, enlarged and the whole organ has
a bipectinate appearance. It is located in the mantle cavity
always directly in the path of water enter in it.

The chemioreception is surely helpful in mating, and the
Olives own two sex. This mean that probably each
species has one's own "smell" ? If so one species is able
to identify another species (by a different smell) and
then to recognize it as a possible prey.

If the Olives secrete a species-specific substance we
also understand why they get an advantage out to live
in colonies: it's more easy to meet the other sex and the
youngs are more safe.

Of course that is only a my idea...and yours ??

Ciao to all, Maurizio.

       Maurizio A. Perini
       Via Pedrazza, 9
       I - 36010 Zane (VI)