From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 21:25:46 -0400
Walter Sage, before he was at the American Museum, maintained a nice
collection which he sold when he went to New York to become Collections
Manager at the AMNH.  He oiled his shells, and he always mixed lighter
fluid with his mineral oil before applying it. He swore by this formula,
and I always wondered what the lighter fluid did. He only said, when
asked, "Works better!" Anyone know? I never tried it, being at the time
a smoker and afraid I'd light my shells (or myself) on fire.

Lynn Scheu
Louisville KY