From:
ferreter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 01:00:14 -0500
Hello Carol, I can only say that you picked one of the last great shelling
spots left in a reasonably price radius. As for shelling I have a book
called Shelling in the sea of cortez. It states that your best options would
be to go to the various fishing towns along the EAST side of the sea of
cortez and ask fishermen about shells. they would help you if the price is
right. the other thing is that what they get for the fish is much less then
what you would offer for them to boat you around to the good spots and use
their experience to benefit your shelling expedition. I have not found much
else in the way of info about shelling there but this method i explained
earlier works in most parts of the world.
And the name is Baja, baha just confuses people about what your talking
about. in Spanish lingo "J" is a "H" sound. One other thing might help
greatly , learn Spanish as this will help you as in that part of Mexico they
won't be able to speak English and this could be life threatening. As for
accommodations this will be interesting as your be staying in non tourist
spots, small motels , little holes in the wall , etc. I'm preparing you as
this is not going to be your run o the mill resort type vacation with valets
and good drinking water. oh and that reminds me , you had better either pack
in enough drinking water to last the whole trip or buy a purifier , not a
Brita either but one of the best you can get from an outfitter that deals
with backpacking/climbing/camping supplies. the water in Mexico will get you
sick and i don't mean just the runs but full out sick to the point it's
called Montezuma's revenge. you will be flat on your back for days if not
weeks. don't drink cocktails , don't drink prepared drinks {Kool-Aid, fruit
juice} and keep you mouth closed even when taking a shower. don't brush you
teeth unless you use your drinking water you brought.
Now that you are petrified at the thought of this vacation let me say this ,
you will be in a spot where most people don't go for obvious reasons and
thus you'll be finding shells. i have never found a good shelling spot
around tourist areas as they are depleted . Just use common sense , don't
keep all of your money on you and don't leave it in your room . these people
are poor and  $100.00 would buy them a years worth of food  but if you get
in good with the right bunch of fishermen then you will probably find
sancuary with them , housing and food and this is a great experience. if you
can get one of them to take you in then you'll be in good hands ... just be
prepared. Mark James Bethke