From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 22:51:51 -0400
Walter Sage always kept a bottle of glycerine around for keeping
perisotraca pliant. He used it especially on frilly and frondose
periostraca like that of the Hairy Shell, Trichotropis, and Cymatium.  I
will have to say that those shells so treated in his collection always
looked great. He had an affinity for shells in shades of brown, and
seemed to acquire them in preference to any other color...so his mixed
lot displays always had a recognizeable look, and there were always one
or two shells in every display with a gorgeous, well groomed and
elaborate brown-to-gold periostracum. I think I'd know a box of his
shells anywhere...but, alas, his collection is long gone, sold. When he
went to work for the American Museum of Natural History, he was not
allowed, for obvious reasons, to have his own collection. (Sad, but look
at the collection he got in exchange!)

And about those Paryphanta, it is true...they DO explode if allowed to
dry out. I bought a beauty from Rich Goldberg at a bourse years ago. I
did love that shell. Nobody mentioned (or they did and I didn't listen!)
that they must not be allowed to dry out. One day I found pieces of my
Paryphanta all over the shell room! Some were as far as 10 feet from the
high shelf the shell resided on. I was sure the cats had done it and
threatened cat stew. But I mentioned it to Rich and he told me what
really happened, exonerating the poor innocent cats.

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, KY

Mathilde Duffy wrote:

> > In following the oiling shells conversation,  I'm reminded that I have used
> > glycerin on  my Paryphanta lignaria lusca to keep the periostracum from
> > drying up and popping off of the shell . I have heard stories of the shell frac-
> > turing into many small  pieces in an explosive manner. Glycerin was always
> > recommended for protection.
> >
> > However, it renders the shell useless for scanning electron microscope work,
> > so I've been told. How does it interfere ?  Is this true with all shells ?

Would