From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:16:33 +1300
Sinistrella was indeed a lapse of brain, being an extinct "turrid".

I have found Smythe & Chatfield 1901 and 1984.

It seems quite obvious that "S." elegans is not consubgeneric with the others.

The sinistral "syntype" of Fusus taylorianus Reeve 1848, as S&C (1984) say,
is not conspecific with the dextral syntype. It appears to me to be a
specimen of S. gallagheri. It has lost the canal lip, giving a deceptively
rounded appearance to the aperture. It is slightly more tightly-coiled than
normal ie translating more rapidly along the coiling axis, thus producing a
slightly higher spire with suture further down the previous whorl-flank.

I have a specimen of a species which I cannot identify, even with
descriptions and photos of all of the named species in front of me. Perhaps
Harry is familiar with it; it is similar to S. barclayi, but differing in
these respects: canal longer, less-strongly twisted, fasciole much weaker;
spiral sculpture considerably finer, especially on base and canal, with
much wider primary interspaces; lack of strong peripheral nodes. Missing
early whorls, but estimate appx 25mm complete. Outline much as in S.
barclayi, but with somewhat finer spiral cords: primaries 3 on shoulder
(not including primary-sized double sutural cord), one at periphery, 4
below, one defining bottom of base, 4 finer on canal. Lower interspaces on
shoulder have secondary and tertiary cords. Below periphery secondary and
multiple tertiary cords present, up to 2 tertiaries between a primary and
secondary. Gap between lowest basal and uppermost canal primary larger than
others, containing 1 high-placed secondary; 2 tertiaries above, 3
tertiaries and 1 quaternary below. Fasciole with 5 equal-sized very
wide-spaced cords equal in size to secondaries. Primaries at and below
periphery largest. All cords rendered gemmate by growthlines. Collabral
sculpture of 10 slightly prosocyrt ribs extending from just below sture to
lower base, fading in both directions but with slight hints remaining to
suture and onto canal. Rib profile rounded-subtriangular. aperturepyriform,
oblique, narrowing at anterior; canal slightly shorter than aperture,
twisted slightly to right.Columella thickened by callus; no denticles
present. Labrum broken. Parietal plait present. Growthlines delineate broad
sinus centered at periphery. Color: orange-brown, darkest on spire and
ribs, slightly lighter on canal; rib-interspaces pale straw; primary cords
on shoulder and base paler still, not quite white. Aperture white.
Localization "Somalia". Supplier: House of 10000 Shells, Cairns, QLD,
Australia 1996, $8.75AUS.

Andrew G