From:
Karen Lamberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 15:25:41 -0500
Hi Jordan-
Good for you! Its never fun, but a catalog is so valuable! Rather than using
a specific program for a shell catalog, of which there are several around,
I'm sure you will hear about them, I use a windows based database program
(R-Base, Access, Paradox, File Maker, your choice) because of the great
flexability. I set up a master table which lists the species number (I
prefer this to specimen number), location (I have a system of two digits-two
digits which describe which cabinet and which drawer the shell is in), the
family, the genera, the specie, the author and date, price- what I paid or
"normal" price if collected or traded for, and finally a one digit field for
condition (1-great shell, great data, 2-great shell poor data, 3-fair shell,
good data, 4- why do I have this grunge?) When I run a report of the
collection, I can sort on any of these fields, so if I want the whole
collection by family, or only one group within a family I can get it. I can
also have it group by condition before I go to a show so I know what I want
to possibly buy to upgrade. Taking the whole catalog with me also keeps me
from buying the same thing forty two times! I can also print labels, which
while that is nice when new material comes in, its even better when multiple
trades are going out! Saves on writers' cramp of the fingers!!!
What I plan to do next (someday?) is to set up a related table which will
primarily be a look-up of collection notes (this would have to be a memo
field to accomodated as much data as I have), the benefit would be that I
would enter this info. once and it would spill to each record it pertains
to. But I am a bit behind in this part of the project- I set up the data
base when I had about 1500 specimens, I now have 4000!  Good Luck  Karen