From:
ferreter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 14:22:51 -0000
Oh, guess i missed that onyx part, Didn't figure the message to be read ,
must be the poultry seasoning , it has a hallucinogenic quality . I have
also seen crazing in good old regular cowries that were boiled . in fact any
shell (gastropod or bivalvia ) that has a glossy aperture seems to crack,
craze or check not to mention delaminating of the layers .
While on the subject of onyx , there is a shell shop in Florida (no i ain't
gona tell ya where, ok ask me privately) that has cypraea succincta mixed in
with the onyx . nice find . At this same shell shop they once sold $15.00
baskets, now most shell baskets are full of half valves , common chipped
stuff and are worthless except for filling shell lamps. Now these baskets
came from a shell shop in the keys that closed when the owner died and that
was some 15-20 years back, the material in the baskets was amazing cypraea
Mauritania that was about 100 mm , large cones that were F+++ and many were
at least uncommon , plus the fill material was not the drilled out lucines ,
it was full of  many small different shells . it was strange to see how they
have changed so much in those years .
Guess I'll just wonder back into the kitchen and watch the turkey for the
next four hours.
Ross, i now know what you feel like ,
Ferret, now just plain old ferret