DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Til Feike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:37:39 +0200
Dear DSSAT listserver members,

I have several problems with modelling cabbage in DSSAT.

I hope there is anyone who has coped with the same or similar problems (and
found a solution).

I want to integrate Chinese cabbage (Brassica campestris L. pekinensis) as a
new species into DSSAT.

My biggest problem is: how are the genotypic, ecotypic and species coefficients
of the CROPGRO model, which was developed for plants producing generative
harvest organs, “translated” for a plant like cabbage, which produces
vegetative harvest organs?

When I look at the genotypic coefficients like “EM-FL”, “FL-SH”, “FL-SD”,… or
ecotypic coefficients like “PM06”, “PM09”, “”JU-R0”, “PODUR”,… I wonder how
these have been “translated”. In Germany we use the so called “BBCH code” to
determine the phenological stages of certain groups of species. Have similar
codes been used for the “translation” of the phenological stages into cabbage?

Another problem occurs, when I run the model for cabbage. In the output files
itsays: “Pod number (no/m2) = 80” (after about 50 days). First I assumed that
“pod” translates into “cabbage head” for cabbage, but this cannot be true for a
number of 80 for cabbage.

Also I ask myself whether it is necessary to determine and change the species
coefficients from cabbage to Chinese cabbage?

If you have any idea or suggestion on the strategy of integrating Chinese
cabbage as a new species into DSSAT, I would highly appreciate it. Also any
hints on which parameters are of special importance to integrate a new species
would help me a lot.

Thanks to all of you for your help in advance,

With best regards,

Til

Til Feike
University of Hohenheim (340)
International Research Training Group
Institute for Crop Production and Grassland Research
Fruwirthstr. 23
70599 Stuttgart
Germany
Tel: 0049-711-459-22221