DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Chris Duke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:36:33 -0500
Hi, first a message from some else to me too....

I have the same problem, and got  around it by making a copy of soil.sol with the name the program is looking for.  It works, but it  lacks elegance.

and another person....

> If you work with DSSAT, the chances are good that this will happen to you one time or another. 9 out of 10 times the Soil reference code in the X file are not the same as in the Soil.sol. In my case it is ussaully the 0 or O problem.
> *.mzx
> *FIELDS
> @L ID_FIELD WSTA.... FLSA FLOB FLDT FLDD FLDS FLST SLTX SLDP ID_SOIL
> 1 EBPL0001 EBCH8401 -99.0 0 DR000 0 0 00000 -99 120 EBMZ850001
> @L ...........XCRD ...........YCRD .....ELEV .............AREA .SLEN .FLWR .SLAS
> 1 0.00000 0.00000 0.00 0.0 0 0.0 0.0
> Soil.sol
> *EBMZ85OOO1 IBSNAT SA 60 DEFAULT - SHALLOW SAND

After some more searching, i see in the IBSNAT35.INP file the name of the soil file is specified. In my case GL.SOL (GL is my institute code, and my soils start with this too.) But I don't know why it must look in the GL.SOL and not the SOIL.SOL file, especially since when you
browse through your soils, it appears to be looking in all the *.SOL files in the SOIL subdirectory. It must be the program that creates the IBSNAT35.INP file that says if the soil code for the experiment starts with GL, there must be a GL soil file. And it does not have the
ability to also check in the SOIL.SOL file. This is an assumption that is not so clear. Perhaps there are also file size limitations to SOIL.SOL?

As seen above from our colleagues, there are just little things to watch for.
thanks, chris

--
Image Analysis and Remote Sensing Lab
111 Dept. of Land Resource Science