DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 14:30:11 +0530
Dear all:

Can any one explain me this ?

About irrigation and rainfall. Rain has really played a significant
contribution in the simulated result of wheat although irrigation was used
to compensat for the rain. For instance, in 1998, there was 225mm rain
during wheat growth period with only one irrigation. Yield was about 3500
kg/ha. But in 1999 the rain was only 60mm but the plot was fully compensated
with 4 irrigations and yield was still more i.e. 3700 kg/ha. But the
simulated yield in 1999 came out to be only about 2000 kg/ha although the
observed yield was 3700 kg/ha. This clearly indicated that rain is more
important than the irrigation. If it is a drought year like in 1999, the
simulated yields significantly drops although the water was compensated by
more number of irrigation. This compensates the E.T. too. May I know why the
irrigation input in 1999 winter did not help to compensate the rain in the
simulation. Can you suggest me to correct this?.

I would appreciate your responce.

Regards,
Kishore Sherchand