From:
Gary Kidder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2018 18:01:53 +0000
Hi Alan,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. WoRMS has been one of the main sources for the changes I have been making to our taxonomy. I decided not to mention what we use so that I could get the most honest answers as possible. To be honest, I'm a pretty big fan of WoRMS and your work as well. I have a copy of Conus of the Southeastern United States and Caribbean at home and your information and images are fantastic. Seeing the images of the radular tooth was a great addition as well.

Our reasoning for using only the genus Conus is that it's a time/man power issue. When a genus or species level change occurs in a part of the collection we are working with that information has to be updated in our database, changed physically on the specimen's catalog tag, and changed in the hand written catalog. A single genus or species change can effect a multitude of specimens and its been very difficult to keep up with that.

Again, thank you for responding and sharing your advice.

Best Regards,

Gary L. Kidder
Inventory Manager - Collections
theHoustonMuseumofnaturalscience
5555 Hermann Park Drive, Houston, TX 77030-1799
[log in to unmask] (713) 639-4629 ext. 4673
Please help reduce carbon footprints by not printing email unless it is necessary...