DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
oluseun idowu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:29:07 +0100
 Dear Prof.,
I received the document sent to me.I have duly
completed it and forwarded it to you. Unfortunately I
could not include the details of my prepayment due to
my inability to afford the fees.
I will appreciate if I may be considered for waivers.
Regards,
Idowu

--- Gerrit Hoogenboom <[log in to unmask]>
wrote: > A Training Program on DSSAT Version 4

> Assessing Crop Production, Nutrient Management,
> Climatic Risk and
> Environmental Sustainability with Simulation Models
>
> December 9 - December 18, 2002
>
> Presented by The University of Georgia and the
> International Consortium for
> Agricultural Systems Applications (ICASA)
>
> Rationale
> Today more than ever, increased food production
> depends on judicious use of
> resources.  In addition, issues such as climate
> change, climate
> variability, soil carbon sequestration and the
> long-term impact on food
> security and environmental sustainability, have
> become important. Many
> weather, soil, genetic and management factors affect
> the way a crop will
> respond to irrigation, fertilizer and other
> management
> practices.  Determining appropriate crop management
> strategies under these
> uncertainties has major economic and environmental
> implications.  Computer
> simulation models of the soil/plant/atmosphere
> system can make a valuable
> contribution to both furthering our understanding of
> the processes that
> determine crop responses and predicting crop
> performance, resource use and
> environmental impacts for different environments and
> management
> scenarios.  User-oriented simulation models greatly
> facilitate the task of
> optimizing crop growth and deriving recommendations
> concerning crop
> management.  They can also be used to determine the
> potential impact of
> climate change on crop production and long-term soil
> carbon sequestration,
> or provide management scenarios for adapting to
> climate variability.
>
> Program Goal and Objectives
> The overall goal of this training program is to
> familiarize participants
> with a comprehensive computer model for the
> simulation of crop growth and
> yield, soil and plant water, nutrient and carbon
> dynamics and their
> application to real world problems.
>
> Specifically the program will focus on:
> -       Operation of the new windows-based Decision
> Support System for
> Agrotechnology Transfer (DSSAT) Version 4 software
> (www.ICASnet.org/DSSAT/)
> -       Description of the new DSSAT-Cropping System
> Model, CSM and its
> modules, such as CROPGRO, and CERES, and the science
> embedded in the models.
> -       Minimum data requirements and experimental
> data collection for
> systems simulation.
> -       Integration of crop simulation models with
> data base management and
> Geographical Information Systems.
> -       Application of the new DSSAT-CSM model to
> improve management of
> cropping systems.
>
> PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS
> [...]
=== message truncated ===