AGED-L Archives

Ag Ed Discussion Group

AGED-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 2009 13:58:45 -0400
Ag teachers,

I try to use a variety of video/DVD materials in my classroom to enhance
instruction.  While I do not use all these videos, all the time, or even
in their entirety – I have found that they usually stimulate good
classroom discussions with my students.  Also, rather than spending an
entire class period on a video, sometimes we watch a video over a period
of several days.

I have created worksheets for all the videos that I use in class and I
would be happy to share them with you.  If you are interested, please
send me an email and I will forward you a copy of the student video
sheet and the teacher answer sheet.

FEATURED VIDEO/DVD OF THE WEEK:

Gimme Green  (2006) – A short documentary film that focuses on America’s
obsession with green lawns and the environmental costs.  The film
touches on related environmental  topics including: lawns vs. “natural”
landscapes, fertilizers, pesticides, groundwater pollution, and
irrigation.  The film also looks at sod farms, the artificial turf
industry, and how lawns and yards affect neighborhood property values
and people’s perceptions of the homeowners.  Filmed primarily in
Gainesville, FL, and Phoenix, AZ.

Reviews from Amazon.com

“Gimme Green is a humorous look at the American obsession with the
residential lawn and the effects it has on our environment, our wallets,
and our outlook on life. It's estimated that Americans use approximately
50 percent of their household water on their yards. By examining the
social, commercial, and environmental pressures surrounding the green
grass aesthetic, we begin to understand how a non-edible,
resource-intensive plant could become our nation's largest irrigated
crop. Spanning a wide range of perspectives and locales, and employing
an engaging blend of gravity and levity, this documentary short examines
Americans' true motives for maintaining a lush green lawn in their
yards.”

You may purchase a DVD of Gimme Green  through Amazon.com.  It is $ 15.
Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Gimme-Green-Flagg-Isaac-Brown/dp/B000V28E14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1239472340&sr=1-1

- Libby Lintel

Other video worksheets available:

A Man Named Pearl
Agriculture – America’s Most Crucial Industry
American Harvest
City Farmers
Guns, Germs, and Steel
King Corn