AGED-L Archives

Ag Ed Discussion Group

AGED-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:26:57 -0400
GA Ag teachers,

        I have created worksheets for all the videos that I use in class
and I would be happy to share them with you.  If you are interested,
please send me an email and I will forward you a copy of the student
video sheet and the teacher answer sheet.

        I try to use a variety of video/DVD materials in my classroom to
enhance instruction.  While I do not use all these videos, all the time,
or even in their entirety – I have found that they usually stimulate
good classroom discussions with my students.  Also, rather than spending
an entire class period on a video, sometimes we watch a video over a
period of several days.

FEATURED VIDEO/DVD:

Broken Limbs; Apples, Agriculture, and The New American Farmer  (2004) –
This DVD takes a look at some of the challenges faced by apple growers
in Washington State and how they have been affected by globalization  It
starts off by looking at how some have gone out of business and how
other have changed – by growing larger and diversifying – to survive.
The second half of the film examines what is calls the “New American
Farmer” – farmers who practice sustainable agriculture.  A case for
sustainable agriculture is made and the concept is well-defined.  This
video would work well with a lesson on fruit and nut production, or on
sustainable agriculture.

Reviews:

“Broken Limbs is a very accurate and moving description of what is
happening to agriculture in America." - Fred Kirschenmann, Director,
Center for Sustainable Agriculture, Iowa State University, organic
farmer

“The future looks grim for the Apple Capital until Evans happens upon an
entirely new breed of farmer, practitioners of a new model called
"sustainable agriculture".BROKEN LIMBS explores these hopeful stirrings
within agriculture, outlining ways in which any individual can play a
role in saving America's farmers.” - Bullfrog Films website

"Broken Limbs is a very accurate and moving description of what is
happening to agriculture in America. Focused on apple growers in
Washington State, the story reflects what is happening to hog producers
in Iowa, citrus growers in Florida and dairy farmers in New York. The
video offers a ray of hope---the "new farmers" who add value to their
production and retain more of that value on the farm by producing the
quality, attributes and services that a growing number of food customers
want. A moving and compelling story." Fred Kirschenmann, Ph.D., Director
of the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture at Iowa State
University and a North Dakota grain and livestock farmer

"Broken Limbs is amazing, excellent, and on the mark..... the first half
of "bad news" was terrifically and delightfully offset by the second
half of the film which focuses on solutions and alternatives to
traditional style farming." Michelle Frain, The Rodale Institute

You may purchase a DVD of Broken Limbs  through the production company:
Broken limbs.org..  It is $35.00.  Here is a link:
http://www.brokenlimbs.org/buy.html.
abitatmedia.org

- Libby Lintel

Other video worksheets available:

A Man Named Pearl
A Different Kind of Grocery Store – 60 Minutes looks at Whole Foods
Market
Agriculture – America’s Most Crucial Industry
American Harvest
City Farmers
Farming the Seas
Gimme Green