AGED-L Archives

Ag Ed Discussion Group

AGED-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 2009 16:11:46 -0400
Ag teachers,

I try to use a variety of video/DVD materials in my classroom to enhance
instruction.  While I do not use all these videos, all the time, or even
in their entirety – I have found that they usually stimulate good
classroom discussions with my students.  Also, rather than spending an
entire class period on a video, sometimes we watch a video over a period
of several days.

I have created worksheets for all the videos that I use in class and I
would be happy to share them with you.  If you are interested, please
send me an email and I will forward you a copy of the student video
sheet and the teacher answer sheet.

FEATURED VIDEO/DVD OF THE WEEK:

Logging Tech – Modern Marvels (2003) – This video covers a variety of
subjects relating to forestry, and the logging industry.  Included
topics: single-grip harvesters, yarding logs, radio-controlled chokers,
sawmill computer technology – computers, debarkers, bandsaws, circular
saws, history of logging, lumbering the American west, how trees are
cut, donkey engines, river pigs, bull-whackers, railroads, flumes,
high-lead skidding, timber barons, John Muir and Teddy Roosevelt, the
U.S. Forest Service, history of the chainsaw, tree farms and sustainable
forestry, logging and the environment, and new technologies under
development.

Description The History Channel

        “Get an up-close look at the incredible tools that let modern
loggers perform Bunyanesque tasks everyday.
        It's an industry Paul Bunyan could have never imagined. Today's
logging technology is, in the most literal sense, cutting-edge. Armed
with behemoth harvesters and the laser precision of modern sawmills,
loggers are feeding the world's ravenous appetite for wood.
        MODERN MARVELS® goes to the heart of a business where each cry
of "timber" evokes the past and fuels debate about the future. Follow
the journey of a single tree from forest to sawmill to consumer, and see
how unlikely products like aspirin, film and toothpaste take their toll
on the world's woodlands. Trace the evolution of logging from frontier
days, when the technology was crude and the wood seemed inexhaustible,
to today, when the reverse is true. And see what options we may have for
preserving the industry, and the ecology, for future generations.”

You may purchase a DVD of Logging Tech – Modern Marvels  through The
History Channel. It is $ 24.95.  Here is a link:
http://shop.history.com/detail.php?p=68487&v=All

- Libby Lintel

Other video worksheets available:

A Man Named Pearl               (Pearl Fryar – SC topiary artist)
A Different Kind of Grocery Store – 60 Minutes looks at Whole Foods
Market
Agriculture – America’s Most Crucial Industry
American Harvest                (Immigrant labor in Agriculture)
Broken Limbs            (Apples in Washington and Sustainable
agriculture)
City Farmers            (Urban agriculture)
Farming the Seas                (Aquaculture)
Farming Technology – Modern Marvels
Fertilizer – Modern Marvels
Gimme Green             (Turf/Lawn Industry)
Guns, Germs, and Steel  (History of Agriculture)
Harvesting – Modern Marvels
Harvesting 2 – Modern Marvels
HOME                    (Global, environmental film)
King Corn                       (Modern corn production and processing)
Mold and Fungus – Modern Marvels
Our Daily Bread         (Industrial Agriculture)
Ripe for Change                 (Agriculture in California)
The Amazing Story of Kudzu
Water – The Drop of Life – Farms and Factories

Libby Lintel
Horticulture Teacher
Kennesaw Mountain High School
named recipient(s) only.