AGED-L Archives

Ag Ed Discussion Group

AGED-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 08:53:02 -0500
Ag teachers,

I try to use a variety of video/DVD materials in my classroom to enhance
instruction.  While I do not use all these videos, all the time, or even
in their entirety – I have found that they usually stimulate good
classroom discussions with my students.  Also, rather than spending an
entire class period on a video, sometimes we watch a video over a period
of several days.

I have created worksheets for all the videos that I use in class and I
would be happy to share them with you.  If you are interested, please
send me an email and I will forward you a copy of the student video
sheet and the teacher answer sheet.

FEATURED VIDEO/DVD OF THE WEEK:

King Corn  (2007) – A documentary film that chronicles two recent
college grads who set off to grow an acre of corn in Iowa.  In the
process, they learn a lot about industrial agriculture, modern
agricultural practices, and how corn is grown, harvested, and ultimately
used in the food chain.  They learn, essentially, that we are all “made”
of corn.

Reviews from Amazon.com
“King Corn examines America's health woes through the multifaceted lens
of one humble grain. Director Aaron Woolf and co-writers Ian Cheney and
Curt Ellis offer irrefutable proof that the US is virtually drowning in
the stuff. Corn meal, corn starch, hydrologized corn protein, and high
fructose corn syrup fuel a multitude of products, from soft drinks to
hamburgers. The starchy vegetable grows with ease and government
subsidies insure over-abundant production. Woolf documents the 11-month
effort of college friends Cheney and Ellis, who trace their ancestry to
the same small Iowa town, to raise their own crop. After finding a
farmer willing to lend them an acre, they meet with agronomists,
historians, and other experts before plowing, seeding, and spraying.
Prior to harvesting, the easygoing Yale grads travel to Colorado to
compare the grass-fed cattle of yore with today's corn-fed counterparts;
then to New York to explore the links between corn syrup, obesity, and
diabetes. With assistance from author Michael Pollan (The Omnivore's
Dilemma), a whimsical score, and stop-motion animation--farm toys and
corn kernels--Woolf and associates bring biochemistry to vivid life. On
a micro level, this genial eye-opener celebrates friends and farmers; on
a macro level, King Corn bemoans the subsidies and genetic modifications
that have turned a formerly protein-filled product into the fatty
"yellow dent no. 2”.”

You may purchase a DVD of King Corn through Amazon.com.  It is $24.49.
Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/King-Standard-Packaging-Michael-Pollan/dp/B001EP8EOY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1234446001&sr=1-2

- Libby Lintel

Other video worksheets available:

Agriculture – America’s Most Crucial Industry
American Harvest
Guns, Germs, and Steel

Libby Lintel
Horticulture Teacher