AGED-L Archives

Ag Ed Discussion Group

AGED-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Teri Hamlin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Teri Hamlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2010 14:00:34 -0400
Agriculture education teachers are needed to help with the Georgia to
Georgia FFA Exchange program. Below is an email from Eve Felton, Ag Ed
teacher at Ola High School.
If you are interest or need additional information about the program
please contact Ms. Felton @ 229-886-3216 (cell)

Dr. Hamlin,
Could you please pass this along on the list serve?

 This past year I served as a coordinator for the FFA to FFG exchange
program. We had 4 wonderful young ladies that came from the Republic
of Georgia last year for a 10 month exchange. This year I’m in search
of new families and advisors that would be willing to help me find a
host family for 4 new students across the state. I swore last summer
with all the stress of trying to find homes that I could not do it
again. El and Ana made such a huge impact on our local FFA program.
They were involved in many CDE’s, helped jump start more community
service in our FFA, and helped make our chapter more aware of
international agriculture. So here I am again in search of homes for
these new students. At this point I’m just praying for a temp. home
that would take a student for two months. If you would be interested,
or know anyone that would be good for this please let me know. I’ve
attached their profiles for the students for you to see the students
that need host families.

A little bit about this exchange experience:

This is a merit based exchange program, which means these kids have to
go through hours of testing to get here.
They will speak English( the English score on the profile is ranked 1-60)
They get $300 when they arrive for school supplies or club/sport materials.
They receive $400 for leadership trips.
They are required to be apart of the FFA- I require all of them to be
involved in one leadership CDE. Elene placed 3rd in the state this
year with extemporaneous speaking.
All you are responsible for is to feed them and give them a bed to sleep in.
They receive an allowance from World Link of $100 per month.
You do not have to take them sight seeing around the country,but they
can travel with your family out of the state.
They have insurance.
If they get here and are a horrible teenager (not likely), or simply a
bad match up you do not have to keep them. I will take them to live
with me as a coordinator till I find a new home.
This is a great cultural experience for your family and school.
They can be placed in single homes and non-traditional homes.
Most all Georgians are Greek Orthodox Christians. Ana went to Sharon
Baptist with her host family this year and loved it. We just ask that
you don’t force your religion on the students.
They arrive the last week of July.
They leave at the end of May or June

Thanks for your time

Eve Felton
Ola High School
FFA Advisor
229-886-3216 (cell)

Disclaimer For Henry County Schools

"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may
retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons
or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please
contact the sender and delete the
material from all computers."

This original email was sent to the internet for delivery at 08 Jun
2010 20:47:56 +0500

--
Dr. Teri Hamlin
North Region Agriculture Education