From:
Joni Inkwindi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 15:52:28 EST
I agree with this conclusion.  After the last two brushes with hurricanes in
Southeastern Florida, the juvenile S. gigas were rolling onto the beaches by
the hundreds!  I'm thrilled that the numbers are increasing so rapidly, and
hope that someday we'll be allowed to self-collect a perfect specimen or two
down here!

Coral rock and rubble wash up on the beach all the time - would it be
considered illegal to collect and/or distribute it?  If so, I need a quick
way to disguise my coral and shell rubble "octopus' garden" out back!  Green
paint, anyone?
Joni

<<  We have a lot more Strombus gigas here in Florida than they are willing
to admit.
 My brother sees them all the time including shells of illegally
 harvested ones.  Last month I saw three under a bridge in the Florida
 Keys which was slightly outside of their usual habitat.