Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:43:37 +0200
Dear Sylvia,
what you say is not always 100% true.
As far as Bollettino Malacologico of the Italian Society of Malacology, for
example, I know for sure (being the coordinator of the publication work
since 1998) that the authors are always requested their own proofreading
before the publication: so the Society cannot  be blamed for typos in the
text of the articles.
Also as far as my own magazine is concerned, apart from the different check
done inside the editorial office and thanks to some external collaborator
of ours, I try to send the proofs to the authors: but sometimes the problem
becomes serious when the authors are slow in sending back the material they
are expected to check...On the other side, this proofreading done by the
authors is easy when they work via internet, or if they have a fax. But
still too often they can be reached only via snail mail...

Maria

Maria Antonietta Fontana Angioy
Evolver srl - La Conchiglia
Rome, Italy