From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 12:10:45 -1100
> May the new century bring us all the shells we ever dreamed of and a
> solution to the conservation issues that we shellers can live with. May
> it bring all of us in Conch-L land peace in our homelands, and peace in
> our homes and in our hearts.
>
> Happy New Year,
>
> Lynn Scheu
> Louisville KY

Amen.  Happy New Year to all of you from the last place on Earth to
celebrate the calendar rollover.  Patty was right, we learn to roll with
the punches here in the tropics, even though I was one of the lucky
ones with a generator in case the power went down and a Ham radio
that I could talk to my family in Texas with if the communications
failed.  All the FAA's equipment seems to have done well, and the
Y2K thing looks to be a bit anticlimactic from a "disaster" point of
view.  Of course, there may be more stories when it's time for us to
receive our next pay checks...

I celebrated the New Year in style.  I had a candy bar for lunch and
then cleaned nerites for a while, and then went to a late night barbecue
with the other air traffic controllers and the pilots from Samoa Air.  We
even got to watch the fireworks display.  It was just like London or
Paris.  Well, almost like London or Paris.  You couldn't beat the
weather, though.  About 78 degrees F, skies cleared off so the stars
were out, and the wind died.  The lagoon looked like glass as I drove
home.  I would go snorkeling but there are no batteries on the island
for my light.  That's not a Y2K problem, though, it's just one of the
typical shortages that happen in American Samoa.  It might be
toothpaste next month, or cigars.  We still talk about the great cigar
famine of 1997.

God bless us all, Happy 2000,

Don