Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 19:58:31 EST
Hey Y'all (thought I'd give you at least one LOL):

For New's Year's Eve......we talked about the things my grandmother has been
telling me about over the last month from the early 1900's (that did not
include beachcombing...); my kids were amazed.  We then talked about what we
will do on our first 2000 vacation on Sanibel.  We may even have to isolate
and dedicate a special container for our first shells collected in 2000!
Nonetheless, we southerners love to have any reason to eat........so we had
"heavy" snacks all night, played board games, ate some more and counted down
with the world all day until it was our turn to bring in 2000.  Did anyone
see the South Pole being moved?  Simply awesome!!  Who would have ever
thought we would witness every time zone's turning?????  And in 1900, how
long it must have taken to find out about any " Y1K" glitches! ha!

Anyway, for those who seem to be surveying New Year's menu's.........being a
true blue Atlanta, Ga. Peach.........we had [and will for a few more days]:
Black eyed peas, smoked ham and collard greens.  This is the Southern
tradition that I can only remember forever!  For those abroad who do not know
the symbolism behind "our food": Blackeyed peas are for good luck in the New
Year, "Greens" for monetary prosperity and the ham (I believe) is because we
are all sick of eating Turkey!!!! and it just goes better with the meal!

May you all have a Blessed, Peaceful and great Shelling Prosperity this
incredible and historic New Year!  [prosperity is in the eye of the
prospered........].

Harriette Jacobs (Harrie)
Snellville, Georgia
USA