From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 11:54:10 -0700
Nice site Martin!
I'm glad there is another champion of freshwater molluscs out there!  I have
recently become interested in the native freshwater gastropods of my area.  Armed
with my one single reference guide I have been scouring sloughs, rivers, lakes
and ponds for the mostly tiny critters.
December has been warm and dry here, so although the water is mainly frozen we
have had a wonderful opportunity to find empty stranded shells in all kinds of
places that might be difficult to access when not frozen.  December shelling in
Alberta... last year this would not have even occurred to me.
Tough little critters though - in a half dozen cases in the last two weeks I have
found some of my so-called dead snails crawling around in the bucket they were
soaking in, brought back to life after lying frozen and beached for who knows how
long!  I put them in my goldfish aquarium and am interested to see what they will
do.

Nora in Calgary (it snowed and it's too cold to to go shelling today)