From:
Marco Oliverio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:40:17 +0100
At 10.03 10/01/00 EST, you wrote:
>.....to make scungilli maranara.

I guess it should be: "sconcigli alla marinara"
(you can pronounce "skohncheeglee àllah mareenahrah" (gl is pronounced as
"ll" in Spanish).
With "sconcigli" in Italy (with some differences depending on the region)
we call mainly those muricids such as Murex brandaris, Hexaplex trunculu,
Tahis haemastoma, but also sometime Phalium spp, Euthria cornea and nearly
all meso/neogastropods of similar size (e.g. Cymatium spp, juvenile
Charonia).
"Alla marinara" means in the sea-men way. It mainly means with garlic and
tomato, but also this has some variation accoridng to the region.

All the best

Marco Oliverio - Evolutionary Biology PhD
Research Scientist

Dipartimento di Biologia Animale e dell'Uomo
Viale dell'Universita' 32
I-00185 Roma   ITALY

phone  +39.6.49914750
       +39.6.55176356  (Molecular Systematics lab.)
FAX    +39.6.55176321