From:
Bobbi Cordy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:00:45 -0500
Well...I can't keep my mouth (keyboard) shut on this one!

I believe EDUCATE  EDUCATE EDUCATE is the answer to keeping our clubs
going.

Our club's biggest Membership Drive is our Shell Show.  We have an
opportunity to talk to thousands of people during tha time.  We have a
special Membership booth to promote our club with members doing nothing
all day but talking to people about our club.

VARIETY:  Meeting everyone's interests with programs and workshops.

Our clubs include the serious collectors, the land snail collector, the
fossil collector, the beach shell collector, the crafter, sea bean
collectors.....and just beach/ocean lovers.
YOU have to meet all their needs in programs and at the shows.   We have
started
branching out in interests from just the serious latin-speaking (we are
one of those) shell collector.     We encourage people to join who just
like to beach comb.   AND now have added a category in our show for
Beach Drift.   We include the Sea Bean Drifters in our show...we include
the Save the Manatees, Save the Turtles, etc. etc.   Include other
sea-related interests - brings in more people.

Members getting out into the community by giving shell talks to school
children, at libraries, at scout/4H groups, church groups, women's
groups, senior citizen homes has helped a lot and gets information about
our club and what we do out to everyone.

Donating shells to schools and museums....also helps.

Encouraging children....with our Junior Shell Club.

Unfortunately the younger generation is being taught that touching,
collecting or taking a shell is wrong.    Especially all the new SCUBA
divers.     It is okay for these divers to spear fish and bring in tons
of lobster (but don't touch a SEASHELL)!

Unfortunately....the marine authorities don't realize that sea shell
problem is NOT in the private shell collector (and never will be)  it is
the pollution, over building and beach renourishment that is killing off
the shells.

We collect in the Bahamas 5-6 times a year and have done so for years.
The Bahamians bring in dozens of Conchs (Strombus gigas) to eat EVERY
day and they have been doing this for eons.   Guess what....every time
we go to the Bahamas we still see hundreds of live Conchs everywhere we
dive and snorkel  (figure that one out).....By the way the Bahamians
don't renourish their beaches (they let them ebb and flow as nature
intended), they don't build their homes or hotels on the beaches (except
in the VERY touristy areas).
They don't pour insecticides and fertilizers on their lands that wash
into the oceans either.

Yes - our shell clubs are getting "older".   What the future holds in
this area....who knows.
Our younger shell club members are educating and encouraging their
children in this interest.....so that is what will keep our clubs and
interest going I hope.

So...that is my two cents worth.

Bobbi

--