From:
Linda Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:20:11 -0600
On 27-Mar-00, David Campbell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>        Question:  Has sexual dimorphism ever been seen in the
>                            Pectinidae?  And,  moreover, even, are the
>                  sexes separate in Pectinidae?

I do not know of external sexual dimorphism.  Sexes are usually separate,
but rare individuals showing some hermaphroditism have been found in
Placopecten magellanicus.

Chesapecten became extinct in the mid-Pliocene with no descendants, but
other genera are probably closely related.

Dr. David Campbell

"Old Seashells"

Department of Geological Sciences
CB 3315 Mitchell Hall
Chapel Hill NC 27599-3315
USA

919-962-0685
FAX 919-966-4519

"He had discovered an unknown bivalve, forming a new genus"-E. A. Poe, The
Gold Bug
Thank you, Dr. Campbell!
        I was trying to identify a scallop which was identiical to another, except for the former being much  "fatter," even at a snaller size.  I believe I must be dealing with a separate species, but probably in the same genus.  I think the difference between the two is too great to be classed as an individual variation.
        Re the questioin about the Chesapecten, I have recieved a numbher of nice specimens in trade and wondered if their line extended to any extant species.
                Cordially,
                           Linda Bush