From:
Kay Lavalier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:58:08 -0500
Andrew Vik

Dear Nora and Paulino:

I guess this is one of those "which came first, the Chicken or the Egg" type
discussions.
The best answers still amount to educated speculation. Most predators will resort to
scavenging in the right situation, and some seem to prefer it (opportunistic
scavengers). The number of animal species that eat only carrion (true scavengers) is
quite small when compared with the part time scavengers. Here are some examples of
full time scavengers which originated from predatory ancestors. The Vultures and
Condors (Aves, Cathartidae) are specialized raptors. The Slime Hags (Agnatha,
Myxinoidea) are jaw less fishes that consume a carcass from the inside out. I can
think of no examples of predators that evolved from full time scavengers. That is one
of the reasons why some paleontologists theorize that the highly specialized
Tyrannosaurus (its forelimbs were quite useless) was a carrion fancier.

True, our  human chauvinism is what makes us take more interest in predators than the
more highly specialized scavengers and parasites. We are predators ourselves. But even
humans will resort to scavenging and even cannibalism in hard times.

I'll now try to bring this thread back in line with our subject, Malacology.
Does anyone know of any molluscs that are full time scavengers?

Yours, Andrew