From:
BARBARA AIGE AIGEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 18:50:22 -0400
    I'm new to Conch-L.  My name is Allen Aigen ([log in to unmask]).  I
am a general collector of all molluscs except bivalves (except
Pectinidae).  I generally collect everything that I can find rather than
specialize in any families.  Although I have an MS in paleontology (a
Mississippian gastropod fauna --U. of Illinois,1974) i am currently just
a bureaucrat.
    I have been collecting from the southern Florida Plio-Pleistocene for
a few years of vacations.  I have found that Ed Petuch's 1994 Atlas of
Florida Fossil Shells (Pliocene and Pleistocene Gastropods), Chicago
Spectrum Press, Evanston Ill., is an indispensible first reference
(especially as the original references are scattered and not always
easily available.)  However I also realize that Ed's standards for
stratigraphy and systematics often fall far short of a modern standard.
I have found numerous problems with the book and I assume that others
have also.
     Beside Richard Petit's short 1995 review in the Tulane Studies in
Geology and Paleontology (28:127-128), has there been any work published
to update the information?  Will the proposed stratigraphy of broad
formations subdivided by faunal zones be accepted by other workers??
Besides the work by David Hargreave, 1995, Tulane Studies (27:1-50) on
the Strombus alatus complex, which preceded the Atlas but ripped Petuch's
published species, has there been any new good systematic work done on
any of the species covered?
     I would ultimately like to see a comprehensive review of the
Plio-Pleistocene faunas, even if it is published (?) piecemeal on the
internet bymany authors.  I have no skill with web sites or the like, but
it would be nice to have a place to contribute articles that deal with
the fauna. Someone with access to a good library can greatly help with
synonomies and a comprehensive bibliography, both sorely lacking in
Petuch's Atlas.
     Can anyone help?