From:
Paul Kanner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 23:10:33 -0700
Hi Tom,
In answer to your question on how the California abalone population has
fared. I can answer that one. Not well. I have been a part time skipper on a
dive charter boat in Southern Cal for over 25 years. I have seen the
increasing demise of all species of abs over that period of time. I have
watched the increasing restrictions imposed by the Dept of Fish and Game
have no impact on restoration of the populations. Many  of our ab species
experienced a disease commonly refereed to as "shrinking foot disease" where
the animal actually became emaciated. This must have been environmental. No
amount of collecting restrictions will cure this. I only hope that this is a
cyclic phenomenon and eventually the population will rebound.