From:
mendel singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 14:58:13 -0400
Hi,
   I am new to the list. My interest in mollusks is in relation to ancient
dyeing of biblical purple and biblical blue. I am an academic, but in a
totally different area (health services research, health economics).  I was
in need of some information that I couldn't seem to track down, so I am
trying here.

  I am looking for some information about certain muricidae - particularly
murex brandaris and trunculus. The info I need concerns:
1. Are they on top of the sand in the sea - or do they bury themselves in?
2. Do they have blue blood (like many cephalopods do)?
3. When does their shell grow in relation to their body growth?
4. Do they have tentacles? If so, are they shaped like hooks (like squid
tentacles)? I thought snail's tentacles  were rather straight.

If ayone can help me out with answers or suggestions where to look, it
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Mendel E. Singer, Ph.D.
Case Western Reserve University