From:
Art Weil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 14:46:41 -0400
OK---True story.
    During WW2, we lived in San Francisco and hosted Lt. Com. Mathew Radom
when his ship (either the Reno or the San Juan) was in port. Spending most
of the time in the South Pacific, Matt would pick up shells on nearby
beaches ---for me. He was liason to Adm. Halsey who asked him what he did
on shore of these barren islands. Matt told him and Bull got interested,
thus beginning what I believe was one of the finer collections of the day.
            Art