From:
G Thomas Watters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 08:24:18 -0400
>It should be Duke Paul Atreides, heir of House Atreides, ruling
>house of planet Caladan son of  Duke Leto Atreides. Not Paulus.

I can't let it pass. It IS Paulus -- it's Paul's grandfather.

Now, back to shells. A little story for the ladies.... how I found my first
new species. While on a dive trip to Bimini in the Bahamas, we had
"collected" some grouper, "lobsters," and Queen conchs for dinner (along
with corn on the cob and copious Harp beer). While motoring back to the
marina I examined the conchs. Crawling across one were two tiny chitons. I
knew nothing of chitons, but what the heck. I collected them. One turned
out to be the fairly rare Lepidozona liozonis and the other, well it didn't
fit in anywhere. Tracking down that little beast turned into a monograph of
the New World Acanthochitonidae, a Master's thesis, several publications,
and the new species Americhiton andersoni (Watters, 1981). And the dinner
was the best I've ever had.

 G Thomas Watters, PhD
 Ohio Biological Survey &
 Aquatic Ecology Laboratory
 Ohio State University
 1315 Kinnear Road
 Columbus, OH 43212 USA
 v: 614-292-6170  f: 614-292-0181

"The world is my oyster except for months with an 'R' in them" - Firesign
Theater

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he
has to buy a license" - GTW

"Beliefs are more powerful than facts" - Duke Paulus Atreides