From:
peta bethke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 21:14:30 -0300
Hello Ellen, Greetings , After reading your response to the poison ivy/oak/sumac problem it brought back memories of a scout
troop that followed a less then intelligent scout master through a rather large patch of poison oak, the result , we had to
end our annual jamboree about 3 days earlier then expected ....
We were all familiar with the identification of the leaves but not the naked branches , they actually have more concentrated
acids and thusly are even nastier then the contact with the leaves .
The remedy was calidryl, oatmeal baths, hydraquartizone and throwing darts at a picture of the scout master .....
As for immunity i think this is one of those funny quarks that only a small handful of people are privy too...It's sort of
like the guy one the ship who could drink tequila all night long and not get a hangover (probably an alien)....
Well anyway , some people say that if you act quickly upon contact by finding a stream, taking equal parts mud and sand and
scrubbing the area with that while dousing with clear clean water will neutralize the acid oil that is what causes the welts
and discomfort...
All the best , Mark and Peta Bethke Hollywood Florida