From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:15:21 -0400
Hi Ross,

Yes, of course it is on topic, and yes, there was a list, which I have
somewhere, augmented by a special list or two of late arrivals. Do you
have specific questions? The list is rather long for reproducing here,
but it was a really exciting array of shells! These lists are always
made available to convention registrants in Registration packets.

And don't feel stingy. One does what one can.

Since you asked, <grin!> I'll follow with a bit about the COA Grants
program, which is a really worthy and exciting aid to malacological
research.

Let me explain one thing at the outset, at least as I understand
it...this has been mentioned several times recently, and how we phrase
it prevents misunderstanding: the research grants are taken from and
dependent upon the proceeds of the Auction. But the full amount does not
go to Grants. The auction is to benefit education, which includes
Grants, American Conchologist, the COA Website, and any other
educational projects COA may undertake. (Gary Rosenberg and others, jump
in here if I am misinterpreting anything.)

 Now remember that I said this is "as I understand it," and I could have
something backwards, but also remember that it is very important not to
assume or state that the entire $29,000 will go to Grants.

Our grants this year should total about $10,000. If you would like to
know more about COA's grants program, ably directed by Dr. Gary
Rosenberg with the help of Dr. G. Thomas Watters and Dr. Hank Chaney, or
see who got grants last year and all preceding years in COA's grant
history, see:

<http://coa.acnatsci.org/conchnet/coagrant.html>

and choose the [Previous Grantees] link. As of the page's last update in
August 1999, COA has given over $63,000 to malacological studies. This
year's grants should bring this total to $73,000. The 2000 grants will
be announced in the September American Conchologist, and will be posted
on the website shortly thereafter. Hopefully GAry will announce them
here as well.

One grant awarded annually, and NOT taken from the Auction proceeds, is
the Walter Sage Memorial Award. Walter, a mainstay of COA for many
years, COA treasurer and a Grants committee member, was always ready to
help any deserving project or worker, often with his own private funds.
After his death in July of 1995 (while many of us were away at the COA
convention in San Diego), we felt it was appropriate to establish an
endowed fund for an annual educational grant in his memory. This fund
was substantially increased by the sale of Walter's shell print fabric
collection, generously donated to COA by his mother, Mary Ann Sage, as
well as by the loving donations of COA members.  COA still welcomes
donations to this fund; COA has tax-exempt status, so such donations are
tax deductible. Contact Phil Dietz, new COA Treasurer, for more
information. <[log in to unmask]>

Winners of the Walter Sage Grant since it was established have been:

1996 Dr. Ross W. Gundersen and Mr. Russell Minton, Department of
Biological Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Parkside:  for a study on
color patterns, "Do stripes equal spots: Puperita pupa and Puperita
tristis." Walter Sage Memorial Award: $375.00 [We didn't have much money
in the fund then.]

1997 Guido Pastorino Argentina National Museum of Natural History,
Washington DC: "The genus Trophon Montfort, 1810(Gastropoda: Muricidae)
and allied groups from Antarctica and surrounding islands: a comparative
systematic study" Walter Sage Memorial Award: $700.00.

1998 Fabio Moretzsohn University of Hawaii: "Species boundaries in the
Cribrarula cribraria species complex (Gastropoda: Cypraeidae)" Walter
Sage Memorial Award: $1,000

1999 Rebecca M. Price University of Chicago: "Evolutionary and
functional analysis of columellar folds in the Fasciolariidae." Walter
Sage Memorial Award: $1,000

2000 ???

Now, there! <puff, puff, pant, pant> that's all I know. And thanks,
Ross, for the opportunity to talk about COA grants and slant this answer
towards being a plug for COA, a really great organization, and our
Conch-L sponsor!

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, KY