From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 01:26:18 -0400
Hi Carol,

In the Welcome Center on I-95 in northern Florida, there's a display of
"Florida" seashells.

The drab, beachworn ones were things like a Dinocardium robustum valve
which could well be from a local beach. But the colorful,
elaborately-sculptured shells were clearly from the Indo-Pacific.

Last winter, we started a thread on ridiculous misinformation on shells in
promotional posters and shell samplers. If media can lie about South
Carolina shells, what else can they lie about? And will anyone be held
accountable? (I think it depends on the subject. I think someone would more
likely be fired for reporting certain facts, 'though not about seashells).

David Kirsh
Durham, NC