From:
Art Weil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 19:53:39 -0400
Dear Wes et al;-
    At one time, the Cincinnati Museum of Nat. Hist. had a wonderful shell
room. It was ringed with display cases and attended by Mr. Willard Mohorter.
At that time, Ralph Dury was the Museum director and was very interested in
shells. Mr. Mohorter Died. Ralph Dury Died. The new director was interested
in birds. The shells were carefully gathered up and placed in the collection
cabinets---where they languish today. They were replaced in that room by
PICTURES of birds.
    As of today, there are two (count 'em) two shells on display at the
museum. I have counted about 150,000 in the collection cabinets.
    The fortunate thing we have going for us is that a couple of the Museum
Board members wont let the Museum dispose of what we have. It's an ongoing
story of intrigue, animal passions, and dramatic speeches.
        Art