From:
Liz Somerville <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 14:27:46 BST
Gijs asked about a particular type of pick made from the conch
(Strombus gigas). I can't add any thing to that, but though that it
might be of relevance to note that shell, especially the shell of S.
gigas, was used as raw material for tools (axes and adzes) on Barbados
in prehistory. (See Drewett, P. (1991) Prehistoric Barbados. Archetype
Press). I don't know if these tools were also made in Florida, but if
local stone was scarce I would not be surprised. However, Gijs' query
seemd to relate to a more recent tradition.

Liz Somerville

Dr Liz Somerville
Sub-Dean (Academic Affairs)
School of Biological Sciences