From:
Henk and Zvia Mienis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 17:00:28 +0300
American shell daggers and picks have been illustrated by Pfeiffer, L.,
1914. Die steinzeitliche Muscheltechnik und ihre Beziehungen zur Gegenwart.
334 pp. , but Strombus is not mentioned by him. According to the text "his"
daggers were made out of Charonia, Busycon and Ficus (the latter in my
opinion a wrong identification).
Examples were found in excavations of sites dating back to the Stone
age-period, in both North- and South America. No such items have ever been
recognized among archaeomalacological material in the Middle East. Gijs a
copy of the book is present in the library of the Zoological Museum in
Amsterdam.
Henk K. Mienis. E-mail: [log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]