From:
Avril Bourquin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 11:35:36 -0700
While doing some serious house cleaning today, I came across some very old
family books from my husband's father.  This old tattered reader fell right
open to this page and I thought I would share it with the list.

Avril Bourquin
P.O.Box 366
Invermere, British Columbia
Canada
V0A 1K0

Phone: (250) 342-7224
EMail:  [log in to unmask]

Poem found in   "The Heath Readers Fourth Reader"  D. C. Heath & Co
Publishers; Boston New York Chicago London
1903

The Snail

William Cowper

To grass, or leaf, or fruit, or wall,
The snail sticks close, nor fears to fall,
As if he grew there, house and all
Together.

Within that house secure he hides,
When danger imminent betides
Of storm, or other harm besides
Of weather.

Give but his horns the slightest touch,
His self-collecting power is such,
He shrinks into his house, with such
Displeasure.

Wher'er he dwells, he dwells alone,
Except himself has chattels none,
Well satisfied to be his own
Whole treasure.

Thus hermit-like, his life he leads,
Nor partner of his banquet needs,
And if he meets one, only feeds
The faster.

Who seeks him must be worse than blind,
(He and his house are so combined,)
Its master.

William Cowper (1731-1800)  is one of the most popular of the English pets
who is the eighteenth century.