From:
Henk and Zvia Mienis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:00:08 +0200
There are two Mediterranean cone species:
Conus mediterranaeus Hwass, 1792 (=? ventricosus Gmelin, 1791) and
Conus vayssierei Pallary, 1906

Remarks concerning the two other species:
Conus fumigatus is an Eritrean species which has been found once in the
Mediterranean Sea. It should be considered as a doubtful Lessepsian migrant;
Conus papilionaceus Hwass, 1792 is a West African species; there are a few
records of finds in the Western Mediterranean, however, it does not seem to
live there. It can be best regarded as an example of biofouling caused by
Mediterranean based fishing-vessels working off the coast of West Africa.

Henk K. Mienis
National Mollusc Collection
Dept. Evolution, Systematics & Ecology
Hedbrew University of Jerusalem