From:
helmut nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:34:04 -0500
I want to answer to you all, Dear Henk and Fam. Livett,

Conus ventricosus Gmelin 1791 should be a nomen dubium to some literature
(as in Lindner).
He and many other authors use the name Conus mediterraneus Hwass in
Bruguiere 1792. Many collectors use both names. A few days me arrived a
parcel from Chioggia with that species. As my Italian friends do not know
well Latin, the transferred the name to Conus mediterraneo (italianized).
Conus vayssieri for me is maybe a doubtful species and occurs much more in
the Canary Islands.
Reguarding the Westafrican  species. Conus papillionaceus is maybe not a
full species as
byssinus and belongs to the complex of Conus pulcher. Conus pulcher is a
most variable species
like Conus mercator, where some malacologists have created numerous
subspecies and form-names.
I hope this helps too.
with best shelling greetings
Helmut from Innsbruck

Helmut "Helix" Nisters
private:
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 57 32 14
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
website: www.netwing.at/nisters
office:
Natural History Department of the
Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck
Feldstrasse 11a
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86 - 37
e-mail: [log in to unmask]