From:
Ellen Bulger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:47:12 EST
Hi Wesley,

I'm no expert (that's for sure) but I'll bet that for some species (like
hairy tritons) the periostracum serves as camouflage. No doubt some potential
predators hunt visually. If this is so, why they happen to have such splendid
markings underneath is baffling.

But as for beauty, I think it is the beachcomber or shell collector who
appreciates the beauty of shells. Aesthetics are, I'm thinking, a human
thing. And if I'm wrong, who is to say what mollusks consider beautiful? They
make admire the beauty of slime and hairy periostracums. They might find
their glorious shells (no matter how natural) unattractive and embarrassing,
like we do male pattern baldness or facial hair on women (also perfectly
natural).

Ellen (in a silly moment)