From:
Leslie Allen Crnkovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 20:43:27 -0600
Dow Liquid Silicone is used extensively for this, but it is rather
expensive... a hundred plus dollars a gallon.   It's properties do not lend
to the same as does Baby or mineral oil.
The idea of the preservation is wrought in sealing in the moisture.  Once it
is sealed in it will not lend to cracking.  However it the shells are
already old... there may be a need to find a way to moisturize it again.
I've not studied that facet.

Leslie Allen Crnkovic
10440 Valley Forge Drive, #2
Houston, Texas 77042-1918 USA
713-784-7084 / 713-784-9084 Fx / 713-598-7084  Cel