From:
Henk and Zvia Mienis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 23:11:08 +0200
Dear Wesley,
Many thanks for your information. Since I possess ofcourse the two Giant
African snail "bibles" by A.R. Mead, I am interested in data concerning
any more recent invasions, especially in areas with a non-tropical climate.
For the fossil record we are confined to Africa.
Although the Giant African snail is a well known pest of agriculture, it was
the introduction of all kinds of "natural" enemies" ranging from carnivorous
snails like Euglandina and Gonaxis to vertebrates like Mongooses
and the huge toad Bufo marinus, what caused havoc among the local
landsnails (and many other animal species!).
However, the combination of both the introduction of the Giant African snail
and its predators has upset everywhere the biodiversity.
Best regards, Henk K. Mienis.