From:
Phil Liff-Grieff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 20:07:51 -0800
Paul,

I understand that predators often take on something a good deal larger
than themselves.  I have a friend living in Hawaii who has kept a number
of the local introduced species as pets.  He recently reported to me that
a Gonaxis that was kept in the same terrarium as a Euglandina aggressively
attacked the larger snail and killed it.  Hopefully, he will be writing up
his observations as it should be quite interesting to observe in detail
how these two agressive predators interact- both offensive and defensive
behaviors.  Suffice it to say that a 3/4 inch predator was able to
dispatch a 2 inch adult while fending off defensive bites.  Imagine how
well it could have done against prey that doesn't bite back!

Can anyone else report on the attacking and/or defensive behavior of
Euglandina?

Phil Liff-Grieff
La Crescenta, California