From:
Jan Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:33:06 -0600
On one of Peggy William's trips I met a nice lady who was a teacher.  She
was very into shelling so loved teaching about them.  She taught on the
elementary level and used the shells as a lesson and as a bribe for good
behavior.  Each week she would introduce a shell as part of the science
lesson.  As the week went on the children would learn about the habits and
habitat of that shell.  At the end of the week if they had received no bad
marks for behavior they would receive one of those shells to take home.  She
lived in Florida so was able to schedule a shell gathering outing for the
students.  How lucky they were.  I believe she is now retired.  We shipped
surplus shells to her to use for her students.

Recently through our Rotary Club my husband and I went to the local school
and read to students.  My husband took a book on shells and examples of the
shells in the book.  He said the teacher was as much interested in them as
the students.

Jan