From:
Amy Lyn Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 14:26:39 -0400
Tucker Abbott was well known for his memory - I was always impressed by how
much he could remember about everything - I tend not to totally trust my
own memory and look things up to make sure my impressions are correct - of
course that does mean I get to waste time looking at photos and reading
books that I enjoy instead of doing the paperwork on my desk ;-)
Amy

>I read somewhere that the human mind can only remember a limited amount of
>information. That is, we can only remember a limited amount per day, and
>also we can remember only a limited total amount. So, for instance, a
>person can recite the entire Bible or Koran, but no one remembers every
>word of more than a very few books. If you try to remember more, then you
>start to forget something else. Still, we have all heard of prodigious
>feats of memory: singers who know every note, word, and nuance of hundreds
>of songs; music lovers who can identify a piece after a few notes have been
>played.
>
>Which brings me to a question about shell species. How many molluscan
>species can a person reliably recognize? Are there any
>conchologists/malacologists who are, or were, famous for their memory? And,
>on a more practical note, how is it done?
>
>Andrew K. Rindsberg
>Geological Survey of Alabama

Amy Edwards, Program Coordinator ------ [log in to unmask]

Museum of Natural History        --------        phone (706) 542-4137
University of Georgia            --------            FAX 706-542-3920
Athens, GA 30602-1882       --------       http://museum.nhm.uga.edu/
"A man's mind, stretched by new ideas, can never go back to its original
dimensions."             Oliver Wendell Holmes