From:
Henk and Zvia Mienis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 06:18:49 +0200
For further information concerning the Northwestern crows see:
Zach, R., 1978. Selection and dropping of Whelks by Northwestern crows.
Behaviour, 67: 134-148.
Zach, R., 1979. Shell dropping: decision-making and optimal foraging in
Northwestern crows. Behaviour, 68: 106-117.

For literature concerning shell dropping in Great Britain & Ireland:
Whiteley, J.D., Pritchard, J.S. & Slater, P.J.B., 1990. Strategies of mussel
dropping by Carrion crows Corvus c. corone. Bird Study, 37: 12-17.
Berrow, S.D., 1991. Predation by the Hooded crow Corvus corone cornix on
freshwater pearl mussels Margaritifera margaritifera. Irish Nat. J., 23:
492-493.
Berrow, S.D., Kelly, T.C. & Myers, A.A., 1992. The diet of coastal breeding
Hooded crows Corvus corone cornix. Ecography, 15: 337-346.

Dito in Israel + related articles:
Mienis, H.K., 1980. New records of predation on snails by the Hooded crow in
Israel. Levantina, 28: 331-332.
Mienis, H.K., 1993. A change in the nut-cracking technique used by Hooded
crows in Kibbutz Netzer Sereni, Israel. Bull. Ornithol. Soc. Middle East,
30: 29.
Mienis, H.K., 2000. Landsnail dropping by the Hooded crow in Israel. Triton,
1: 31-32.

Regards,
Henk K. Mienis